Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Stock

US approves New York plan to impose $9 Manhattan congestion fee starting Jan. 5

By David Shepardson

(Reuters) -The U.S. Transportation Department has approved New York’s plan to impose a $9 congestion charge for driving in Manhattan starting on Jan. 5, a move aimed at raising billions for mass transit and cutting traffic.

The congestion charge, the first of its kind in the United States, was revived last week by Governor Kathy Hochul after she had put it on indefinite hold in June.

New York plans to charge a $9 toll during daytime hours for passenger vehicles driving in Manhattan south of 60th Street. It scrapped an earlier plan to charge $15 that would have started on June 30 of this year.

The Federal Highway Administration said in a letter made public on Friday that no additional environmental assessment was needed to impose the lower toll and that it was consistent with a review completed in 2023.

London implemented a similar fee in 2003, which is now 15 pounds ($19).

New York’s Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which approved the fee this week, said the toll will result in at least 80,000 fewer vehicles entering the zone daily, “relieving crowding in what is today the most congested district in the United States.”

New York is racing to implement the charge before President-elect Donald Trump takes office. Trump, who has a Manhattan residence, said last week he strongly disagreed with the decision to implement the fee.

Hochul said the toll is crucial to making new investment in subways and buses in New York, and that it will support $15 billion in debt financing for mass transit improvement.

Trucks and buses will pay up to $21.60, and there will be 75% discounts for traveling at night. The fee will be charged once a day regardless of how many trips are made for car owners, while taxis will pay 75 cents per trip in the Manhattan zone and Uber (NYSE:UBER) or Lyft (NASDAQ:LYFT) vehicles reserved by app will pay $1.50 per trip.

New York has said that more than 700,000 vehicles enter the Manhattan central business district daily, reducing travel speeds to around 7 mph (11 kph) on average, which is down 23% since 2010.

This post appeared first on investing.com






    You May Also Like

    Economy

    A U.N. human rights group confirmed Hamas’ leader in Lebanon, who was recently killed by Israeli strikes, was their employee.  Fateh Sherif was killed...

    Investing

    Astron (ASX:ATR) and Energy Fuels (TSX:EFR,NYSEAMERICAN:UUUU) have completed the establishment of a joint venture to advance the Australia-based Donald rare earths and mineral sands...

    Editor's Pick

    Sister Stephanie Schmidt had a hunch about what her fellow nuns would discuss over dinner at their Erie, Pennsylvania, monastery on Wednesday night. The...

    Latest News

    Boeing machinists voted against a new labor deal that included 35% wage increases over four years, their union said Wednesday, extending a more than five-week strike that has halted...

    Disclaimer: balanceandcharge.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.


    Copyright © 2025 balanceandcharge.com