Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Editor's Pick

Sentencing postponed for ex-Proud Boys leader Tarrio in Jan. 6 conspiracy

A federal judge is not proceeding as planned with the sentencing of former Proud Boys leader Henry “Enrique” Tarrio, who was convicted of recruiting followers to attack the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, and disrupting the peaceful transfer of American presidential power, spokespeople for the U.S. attorney’s office and federal court in D.C. said Wednesday.

The U.S. attorney’s office spokeswoman initially cited an unspecified “emergency,” though the court spokeswoman later said there was no emergency. A spokesperson for the U.S. Marshals Service said the judge was ill.

Tarrio had been scheduled to be sentenced Wednesday along with one of his top deputies, Ethan Nordean.

Nordean is now expected to be sentenced Friday at 2 p.m. Tarrio’s sentencing has been rescheduled for Tuesday at 2 p.m.

Three other members of the Proud Boys, a far-right group with a history of violence, also face sentencing on Thursday and Friday: Joe Biggs, Zachary Rehl and Dominic Pezzola.

Tarrio and his co-defendants were convicted of seditious conspiracy, except Pezzola, who was acquitted of that charge but found guilty like the others of obstructing Congress’s joint session, and of other crimes.

Skip to end of carousel

What to know about the Proud Boys sedition trial
Former Proud Boys chairman Henry “Enrique” Tarrio and three other members were found guilty of seditious conspiracy in the Jan. 6, 2021, riot.Inside the Proud Boys trial: Videos and secret chats revealed how the Jan. 6 plot unfolded.Who are the Proud Boys charged with seditious conspiracy in the Jan. 6 attack? Here’s what to know about the trial.

End of carousel

Tarrio, 39, was convicted even though he wasn’t in D.C. on Jan. 6. He and many other members of the group that he led for years visited the District twice in 2020 after President Trump’s defeat, leading to Tarrio’s arrest that December after he burned a “Black Lives Matter” flag torn down from a D.C. church. He was banned from the city as a result. But prosecutors said he recruited people to join in a violent assault on the Capitol on Jan. 6, and messaged them “Don’t f—ing leave” as they led the storming of the building, which caused the electoral vote count to stop for about six hours.

In a day-long hearing Tuesday in D.C., U.S. District Judge Timothy J. Kelly rejected efforts by multiple defendants to throw out the jury verdicts. Their claims that the riot was instigated by government informants or left-wing agitators were “speculative and fantastical,” he said, while accusations of government misconduct in the case were “meritless and not appropriate … as a matter of pure professionalism.”

Prosecutors are asking Kelly to sentence Tarrio to 33 years in prison and Nordean to 27 years. Those would surpass the record for the longest Jan. 6 sentence, which is 18 years, for Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes. The long sentences come from a government request that the Proud Boys defendants be found liable for terrorism, adding roughly 15 years to their sentences, and also for obstruction of justice.

Aaron Blake contributed to this report.

This post appeared first on The Washington Post

Enter Your Information Below To Receive Free Trading Ideas, Latest News And Articles.






    Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

    You May Also Like

    Latest News

    North Korea may be known as the hermit kingdom, but the isolated nation could be edging toward opening its borders to small numbers of...

    Latest News

    Evacuations are underway across Hawaii’s Big Island and Maui as passing Hurricane Dora helps fuel wildfires that have damaged structures, prompted rescues and spurred...

    Editor's Pick

    One of the perks of being speaker of the House — or at least, one of the characteristics of it — is that you...

    Latest News

    Former world No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki won her first competitive tennis match in three-and-a-half years on Tuesday, defeating Australian Kimberly Birrell 6-2 6-2 at...

    Disclaimer: balanceandcharge.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.


    Copyright © 2023 balanceandcharge.com