Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Stock

Chile aims to invest $83 billion in mining through 2033, newspaper says

SANTIAGO (Reuters) – Chile plans to invest about $83.18 billion from this year through 2033, state-run agency Cochilco said in a study cited in a newspaper report on Tuesday, an increase of 27% from last year’s estimate.

WHY IT MATTERS

Set to be presented on Wednesday, the Cochilco report will list some 51 projects in the South American nation, which is the world’s largest producer of copper and second-largest of lithium, a key ingredient of rechargeable batteries.

Chilean newspaper Diario Financiero said Cochilco’s report did not include a recently announced $14-billion expansion plan by mining giant BHP, whose Chilean projects include Escondida, the world’s largest copper mine.

With this, it said the total investment plan could amount to nearly $100 billion.

BY THE NUMBERS

The paper said the spending hike was driven by 11 new projects amounting to about $15.66 billion, including the expansion of Freeport-McMoRan (NYSE:FCX) projects, works in Los Bronces by Anglo American (JO:AGLJ), and planned improvements at state-owned miner Codelco at Chuqui Subterranea, as well as a Codelco lithium project at the Maricunga salt flat.

About 52% of spending totaling $42.96 billion is pegged for projects planned between 2024 and 2026, the paper added.

This post appeared first on investing.com






    You May Also Like

    Economy

    A U.N. human rights group confirmed Hamas’ leader in Lebanon, who was recently killed by Israeli strikes, was their employee.  Fateh Sherif was killed...

    Editor's Pick

    Sen. JD Vance (R-Ohio) and Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz (D) will face off Tuesday night at a CBS News vice-presidential debate in New York....

    Investing

    Astron (ASX:ATR) and Energy Fuels (TSX:EFR,NYSEAMERICAN:UUUU) have completed the establishment of a joint venture to advance the Australia-based Donald rare earths and mineral sands...

    Latest News

    A North Korean defector who escaped to the South more than a decade ago was detained after attempting to cross back into North Korea...

    Disclaimer: balanceandcharge.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.


    Copyright © 2024 balanceandcharge.com